31 Responses

1. David Chua
    David Chua May 27, 2008 at 12:31 pm |

I guess this is the law of large numbers in action.

I remember back when I used to play online games in ’96, ’97, the community was small, but cosy. Everybody knew each other and sure there were squabblings and little flamewars every now and then, but at the end of the day, people always find a way to make up, and things were all good.

Everybody respected one another, and profanities were pretty much kept to a minimum.

Nowadays, when I play a casual game online, it seems like people nowadays have grown up to be absolute bastards online.

Law of Large Numbers, Anonymonity + Ease of getting online (unlike last time where you have to have some skills to operate a 28.8kbps modem)? Perhaps.

2. Ian Timothy
    Ian Timothy May 27, 2008 at 12:32 pm |

Hmmmm….The net wasn’t ever that cosy. I still remember the early bloodbaths on BBS, IRC, forums…. Just that the local blogosphere took some time in warming up.

3. rinaz
    rinaz May 27, 2008 at 12:34 pm |

I get you man. I detest cliques too and am quite disappointed to see them rapidly and increasingly forming.

True, people do have their own preferences as to who they want to mix around with, and that is their right.

But that doesn’t mean that they should just ignore other people, or not be welcoming to other people or at the very least, be sociable to other people.

For that, I am very disappointed.

4. Daphne Maia
    Daphne Maia May 27, 2008 at 12:35 pm |

its human nature to form cliques.

5. Priss
    Priss May 27, 2008 at 12:38 pm |

That’s why I haven’t been blogging much lately… anything I say forces me to take sides, or, if not carefully said, might offend both sides. -_-

So I give up, I’m just reading the community blogs and I’ve stopped blogging for the time being, just to be on the safe side 😉

6. brian
    brian May 27, 2008 at 12:47 pm |

the more people we open ourselves to, the more vulnerable we become. i guess that’s the paranoia on our parts.

it really is hard to be all-inclusive when everybody has a different opinion on a subject

but i still think civility and decency can be applied even in times of difference.

it’s probably out of convenience that we choose to write off something that we feel less for, but taking the extra effort to educate oneself allows us to be more tolerant, and perhaps actually expand our worldview?

7. Ridzuan
    Ridzuan May 27, 2008 at 1:03 pm |

Ok…i wasn’t expecting so many responses because it’s just something that’s been bugging me for a long time.

But yeah, I guess a lot of things are simply a natural progression of growing communities(or simply human nature) but I’m idealistic and I guess I hold on to the hope that people are kind in general and that perhaps this fast paced lifestyle we live in cause us to forget that a smile and a tad bit of acceptance can sometimes make a world of a difference even to the meanest of people…

8. David Chua
    David Chua May 27, 2008 at 12:31 am |

I guess this is the law of large numbers in action.

9. Ian Timothy
    Ian Timothy May 27, 2008 at 12:32 am |

10. rinaz
    rinaz May 27, 2008 at 12:34 am |

For that, I am very disappointed.

11. Daphne Maia
    Daphne Maia May 27, 2008 at 12:35 am |

its human nature to form cliques.

12. Priss
    Priss May 27, 2008 at 12:38 am |

13. brian
    brian May 27, 2008 at 12:47 am |

14. Ridzuan
    Ridzuan May 27, 2008 at 1:03 am |

15. Daryl Tay
    Daryl Tay May 27, 2008 at 3:00 pm |

I have to say this issue is actually annoying me as well. I sometimes wonder if it would’ve been better staying as this nameless, faceless WordPress blogger so that I won’t have to be drawn into these issues and focus on what’s important instead.

16. DK
    DK May 27, 2008 at 3:31 pm |

I’m guilty as charged.

17. Daryl Tay
    Daryl Tay May 27, 2008 at 3:00 am |

18. Ridzuan
    Ridzuan May 27, 2008 at 4:13 pm |

Daryl Tay : About being nameless, i’m not sure man. I used to move my blog every couple of years to maintain anonymity but now I figure it’s high time to accept the fact that the Internet makes one’s life as public and public can be so I’ve decided to just embrace it and struggle through to make it work.

DK : Haha, well you aren’t the only one man. Taking a look at the entire scene, there’s just too much of it. It feels like all the sensitivities might cause things to spiral to oblivion… I think this is going to take the will of an entire community to fix…

19. DK
    DK May 27, 2008 at 3:31 am |

I’m guilty as charged.

20. Ridzuan
    Ridzuan May 27, 2008 at 4:13 am |

21. Dhope
    Dhope May 27, 2008 at 5:21 pm |

It’s not really that difficult to fix. Just avoid being exclusive. And dun form “alliances” or side someone simply becos’ of friendship.

But it’s hard becos people do dat and are willing to stay in their comfort zone.

This should be tackled over the next cuppa kopi or SMB3!!! 😛

22. Daryl Tay
    Daryl Tay May 27, 2008 at 5:37 pm |

Dhope: Y’know, that’s actually a pretty good suggestion =)

23. Dhope
    Dhope May 27, 2008 at 5:21 am |

This should be tackled over the next cuppa kopi or SMB3!!! 😛

24. Daryl Tay
    Daryl Tay May 27, 2008 at 5:37 am |

Dhope: Y’know, that’s actually a pretty good suggestion =)

25. HuiHuiakaTara
    HuiHuiakaTara May 28, 2008 at 1:23 am |

Hmmm I got your point there, sometimes I feel that the blogsphere is becoming more like aggressive?

*Sign*

Missed the days where bloggers can blog peacefully (with respect of coz) without any worries, but now I have to think twice before I blog! o.O

26. HuiHuiakaTara
    HuiHuiakaTara May 27, 2008 at 1:23 pm |

*Sign*

27. cowboycaleb
    cowboycaleb May 28, 2008 at 12:06 pm |

It’s your choice really. If you choose to play the game where you are friends with some people but dislike the rest, then you should prepare to live with it.

28. cowboycaleb
    cowboycaleb May 28, 2008 at 12:06 am |

29. Marina’s Bloggariffic » Blog Archive » Social Media Breakfast 2 - The meeting of minds

[…] was also Ridz who recently posted a very good article about cliques in the web community, we chatted a while together and both remarked at how we tend to meet the same people in events […]

30. arzhou (adrian)