Are you having a problem with your Steam not running the game you have just downloaded because it gets stuck at “Performing first time setup… Installing: Microsoft VC Redist Package (step 1 of 1)”. Here is a possible solution that worked for me.
- Start windows in safe mode with networking.
- Download the appropriate Microsoft VC Redist Packages from Microsoft.
- Activate Windows Installer service in safe mode.Type “cmd” in your “search all programs and files”Right click on the “cmd” program, and select “Run as Administrator”
Type the following in the command prompt: REG ADD “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MSIServer” /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D “Service”
Open your “Run” dialog and then start the Windows Installer service by typing : net start msiserver
- Right click the downloaded Microsoft VC package and run as administrator.
- Install the package.
- Restart back to normal Windows and it could solve your problem.
Alternatively, you can delete the “installscript.vdf” file in <your steam install folder>\steamapps\common\<game name>. It might work as well according to some people.
Happy holiday gaming folks.
[contentblock id=5 img=gcb.png]
Like this article? Like us on Facebook or share our website with your friends using the share buttons below!